Schezwan fried rice- Recipe by coolinarika.com -
- Rinse rice very well until the water runs clear of starch. Soak the rice in enough water for 30 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
- In a pot, bring 6 cups of water to a gentle boil with salt and 2 to 3 drops of oil. Add the soaked and drained rice to the hot water. On a low-to-medium flame cook the rice without the lid.
- When the rice becomes al dente (or just cooked), remove the pot from heat and strain the rice. Gently rinse the rice in water so that it stops cooking and doesn’t stick together.
- Cover the rice and keep to one side.
Preparing schezwan fried rice:
- Finely chop all the vegetables. You can even shred them in a food processor.
- Heat oil in a wok. Add garlic and sauté for 15 to 20 seconds. Add the onions, celery and the vegetables. Increase the heat and stir-fry on a high heat.
- Keep stirring and tossing the vegetables on a continuous high heat so they are equally browned and cooked. Add Vegeta and stir
- When the edges of the vegetables start to turn light brown, add schezwan sauce. Stir and then add the drained rice.
- Mix and toss the rice gently with your vegetables. Season with salt, pepper and vinegar.
- Garnish the schezwan fried rice with the spring onion greens.
- Serve schezwan fried rice on its own or with an Asian side dish.
Chef's tip: The more finely you chop the vegetables, the faster they will cook.